review: chicken soup for the woman's soul




Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women by Jack Canfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women by Jack Canfield

Chicken soup series is the best.

The stories in the series are sometimes hear-warming, mind-blowing, and so tender that they make us question ourselves, doubt our perspectives, help us change, make us believe in change. The stories are not just stories they are a life lived and lessons learned, experiences earned, memories made. This collection of different stories from people across the globe and putting them together in forms of context allowing us to take more experiences and lessons from the way others lived.

Not just this book, but the other Chicken soup book that I read also made me feel the same way. I'm in love with these short and delicate stories.

There's this story, where a student asks her teacher, " Where do the mermaids stand? " when they were asked to divide into 3 groups- a Giant, a Wizard or a Dwarf. That's the one that caught my attention the most. Where do the mermaids stand? All the mermaids- all those who are different, who do not fit the norm, and who do not accept the available boxes and pigeonholes? All the ones who do not fit in the already named three groups, who do not want to be in that three groups? I thought, yeah! why not? why should I be someone to choose only between those that are already there when I think I do not fit, I can make myself a new identity and live with all the dignity, right? WOW! that's really is amazing.

You should definitely read it! I took time to read this, I didn't just read it in one sitting. I allowed myself to take all that there is to take. And it didn't disappoint me.

Some of my favourite quotes from the book,
"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe 

-

"Where do the Mermaids stand?" 

- 

"As for what we grow inside, Sandy said, “That’s up to each of us, isn’t it? I don’t grow bitterness or sorrow. I could if I wanted to, but I’d rather not.” “So what do you grow?” I asked. Sandy looked warmly at her daughter and then back to me. She pointed toward her own eyes, which were aglow with tenderness, gratitude and a sparkling joy. “I grow this."" 

- 

"I tell them I live my life by this simple philosophy: I always say yes first; then I ask, Now, what do I have to do to accomplish that? Then I ask myself, What is the worst thing that can happen if I don’t succeed? The answer is, I simply don’t succeed! And what’s the best thing that can happen? I succeed! What more can life ask of you? Be yourself, and have a good time!" 

- 

"All of us are scarred by life; it’s just that some of those scars show more clearly than others. Our scars do matter. They tell us that we have lived, that we haven’t hidden from life. When we see our scars plainly, we can find in them, as I did that day, our own unique beauty." 

- 

"If you could be, do, or have anything in the world, and you knew it would be impossible to fail, what would you choose? And if you could create your ideal life, what would you dare to dream?"

- 

"I believe that all success begins with spreading your W.I.N.G.S.—believing in your worth, trusting your insight, nurturing yourself, having a goal and devising a personal strategy. And then, even impossible dreams become real."
 

Read and Let me know what you liked the most about this book.
Connect with me on Goodreads!

PS: I read this book as in individual stories, not how much they justify for the title. 

Comments

Popular Posts